Visual Art Fundamentals
The course introduces a wide variety of approaches leading to a substantial and varied portfolio of work, suitable as preparation for art and design studies at university level. Studio space restricts the class size. Class work includes: exercises and discussions to extend creative and personal expression; development of observational and technical skills through different media, reinforced by independent studies and home projects. Thematic approaches, inter-media experiments, exhibition preparation and presentation are explored; visits to art galleries provide insights into current art practice. An introduction to the language of art criticism and research methods will be provided.
- Semester 1 - 2017
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Establish basic practical skills, techniques and approaches to art making;
2. Investigate concepts, materials and applications within a contemporary framework related to the history and theories of art;
3. Explore sources of visual research material and develop independent study skills;
4. Develop relevant fieldwork practices.
History/theory topics that are, as far as possible, integrated with the studio activities, will be selected from:
- An introduction to art history from antiquity to early 20 century art, including major approaches in Western Art;
- An introduction to research techniques: development of Visual Art Research Journal;
- An introduction to artwork/exhibition analysis.
ﾠStudio topics will be selected from:
- Introduction to themes and techniques in painting and drawing;
- Critical observation and research methods;
- Basic application of 2-D art materials;
- Exploration of 3-D modelling and/or construction;
- Introduction to colour theory, basic design principles and composition;
- Exhibition organisation and presentation skills.
This course is only available to students who are active in the Open Foundation Program or the Yapug Program.
Written Assignment: Questionnaire - Gallery Excursion
Journal: Visual Art Research Journal
Portfolio: Final Portfolio
Report: Report - Gallery Excursion
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks