Environmental Science and Management Honours 4002
|Course code ENVS4002||Units 20||Level 4000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Environmental and Life Sciences|
This course develops preliminary research skills in Environmental Science and Management. The course is conducted under the direct supervision of an academic staff member(s) who is also the student's Honours research supervisor. The course builds skills and competencies in research design including literature reviews, identification of research questions, methodological approaches, data collection and analysis, discussion and communication skills and preparation skills.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete the following compulsory components:
* Work Health and Safety (WHS) module;
* Project risk assessment;
* Lab and/or fieldwork safety induction; and
* Academic Integrity Module (AIM).
Students will receive full information on these compulsory components in the course outline provided by the School.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||At the successful completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate:|
1. a capacity to read, understand and evaluate a large body of academic and professional literature; and
2. higher order thinking skills involving the identification of research problems, selection of research techniques, and critical analysis and evaluation of a variety of data forms.
|Content||1. Development of a Research Proposal, involving establishing aims and objectives of the thesis;|
2. Methodology and research plan, and evidence of a timetable for completion;
The Research Proposal is presented as a half-hour seminar, followed by questions and re-evaluation of thesis direction.
|Assumed Knowledge||A major in an appropriate discipline with a minimum credit grade average.|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Teaching Methods||Individual Supervision|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Individual Supervision: for 14 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for ENVS4002|