|Course code ENGL6006||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
This course offers advanced training for students who are working towards a publishable collection of poetry. Students will read contemporary world poetry to extend their creative range. They also learn to work with drafts and envision their work as a coherent collection.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004|
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate|
(1) an awareness of the trends in contemporary poetry;
(2) a detailed understanding of the techniques involved in shaping a good poem and collection;
(3) core skills in written and oral communication, in textual analysis and in creative practice.
|Content||As good poets devour poetry all the time, students will embark on an intensive reading program, focussing on contemporary poetry. They will study postmodern and contemporary trends and be encouraged to be more experimental in poem-making. The reading will enhance their critical skills in assessing their own work and that of their fellow students. They will learn to work with drafts and envision their work as a coherent collection. |
Particular attention will be paid to
* Developments in contemporary world poetry
* Discovering literary models
* Envisioning the portfolio as a coherent collection
* Working with drafts, revising and editing.
|Transition||No transition arrangements are necessary.|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Distance Learning : Paper Based
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|