This course explores the various forms of creative nonfiction such as the personal essay and travel writing. Students learn about the creative possibilities in the blending of fact and fiction that occurs in literary nonfiction. They will study the skills and techniques that turn facts into compelling stories and apply them to their own writing.
Not currently available.
1. An understanding of the various forms of creative nonfiction;
2. A detailed understanding of the techniques involved in shaping the creative nonfiction text;
3. Core skills in written and oral communication, in textual analysis and in creative practice.
Creative nonfiction is a relatively new phenomenon which has flourished in major creative writing programs in recent years. Because of its hybrid and versatile nature, it offers exciting creative possibilities to students. Students explore the various forms it encompasses, such as the personal essay, travel writing and the literary memoir. In particular, they will learn how the best creative nonfiction works blend fact and fiction into compelling narratives. They will analyse the skills and techniques used by major writers in each form, and learn to apply them in shaping their own creative work.
Particular attention will be paid to:
- The hybrid and versatile nature of creative nonfiction
- The features of the major forms of creative nonfiction
- The blending of fact and fiction
- The combination of narrative and descriptive techniques.
Portfolio: Creative writing portfolio
Essay: Critical essay
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks
2 hours per week plus individual consultation.