Advanced Creative Writing 1
|Course code ENGL3201||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
Allows students to undertake specialization in poetry or prose. Students will be able to concentrate on developing their poetic skills or narrative and descriptive techniques in order to produce a coherent and sustained portfolio in either poetry or prose.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004|
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, students will have|
1. furthered the understanding of the art of creative reading - the ability to identify a good text and use it as a creative model;
2. furthered the ability to analyse literary texts in a coherent way;
3. acquired a deeper knowledge of the different genres, literary tradition and forms;
4. learned more about the mechanics of a good poem or a compelling narrative;
5. been exposed to an array of voices from the local to the global and have started to develop their own voice.
|Content||This course allows students to specialize in either poetry or prose and thus gives them more opportunity to develop as fiction writers or poets. Students will be able to concentrate on developing their poetic skills or narrative and descriptive techniques in order to produce a coherent and sustained portfolio in either poetry or prose. Particular attention will be paid to |
* contemporary developments in poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction;
* comparing local and foreign voices;
* deepening knowledge of forms and traditions of each genre;
* developing a coherent collection of poetry or prose;
* the skills and techniques of major writers;
* discovering literary exemplars to inspire students.
|Transition||No transitional arrangements are necessary.|
|Assumed Knowledge||ENGL2201 and ENGL2202 or equivalent.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|