This course will develop students' understanding of Aboriginal culture and the challenges faced by Aboriginal students when they attend formal institutions such as schools. The course addresses Aboriginal education and social policies that have impacted on Aboriginal communities, particularly in NSW; cultural differences and related pedagogues; teaching strategies, including anti-racism strategies; and the inclusion of the Aboriginal community in the delivery of knowledge within the schooling system.
- Semester 2 - 2016
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Recognise the importance of teaching Aboriginal Studies in the context of contemporary Australian society.
2. Understand and respect traditional and contemporary Aboriginal cultures.
3. Demonstrate appropriate pedagogy for teaching Indigenous students.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of strategies for combating racism in school settings.
5. Recognise the protocols of effective consultation with Aboriginal communities.
6. Understand the importance of Aboriginal education and social policies that have impacted on Aboriginal communities, particularly in NSW
The following topics and content will be covered:
- History of Aboriginal education in NSW
- 2008 NSW Aboriginal Education & Training Policy
- Involving the Aboriginal community, partnership in Aboriginal education
- Quality Teaching & Aboriginal students, comparing Aboriginal learning pedagogies & QT
- Understanding Otitis Media & Aboriignal English in a classroom setting
- Develop Aboriginal perspectives through contemporary diversity of Aboriignal Communities
- Development of Aboriginal perspectives through liiteracy & numeracy
- Analysis of cultural bias in resources
- Roles of Aboriginal education workers and the Aboriginal Education Consultative Group
- Examining racism
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Presentation: Case Study and Presentation
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 5 Weeks
Online 3 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 5 Weeks