|Course code EDUC6912||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course will develop students' understanding of Aboriginal culture and the challenges faced by Aboriginal students when they attend formal institutions such as schools. The course addresses Aboriginal education and social policies that have impacted on Aboriginal communities; particularly in NSW; cultural differences and related pedagogues; teaching strategies, including anti racism strategies; and the inclusion of the Aboriginal community in the delivery of knowledge within the schooling system.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to:|
1. Recognise the importance of teaching Aboriginal Studies in the context of contemporary Australian society.
2. Understand and respect traditional and contemporary Aboriginal cultures.
3. Demonstrate appropriate pedagogy for teaching Indigenous students.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of strategies for combating racism in school settings.
5. Recognise the protocols of effective consultation with Aboriginal communities.
6. Understand the importance of Aboriginal education and social policies that have impacted on Aboriginal communities, particularly in NSW
|Content||The following topics and content will be covered:|
* History of Aboriginal education in NSW
* 2008 NSW Aboriginal Education & Training Policy
* Involving the Aboriginal community, partnership in Aboriginal education
* Quality Teaching & Aboriginal students, comparing Aboriginal learning pedagogies & QT
* Understanding Otitis Media & Aboriignal English in a classroom setting
* Develop Aboriginal perspectives through contemporary diversity of Aboriignal Communities
* Development of Aboriginal perspectives through liiteracy & numeracy
* Analysis of cultural bias in resources
* Roles of Aboriginal education workers and the Aboriginal Education Consultative Group
* Examining racism
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
|Contact Hours||Integrated Learning: for 32 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EDUC6912|