Listening and Spoken Language: School Age Children
This course is designed to assist the practitioner with the identification and application of theory to the auditory-based spoken language development of school age children who are deaf/hard of hearing (D/HH). The course focuses on the assessment, facilitation, and if necessary, remediation of linguistic, auditory, cognitive, socio-emotional, and speech skills via an integrated approach to learning.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe research associated with the listening and spoken language development of school age children who are D/HH;
2. Critical analysis of listening and spoken language teaching behaviours used with school age children who are DHH; and
3. Benchmarking, goal setting and program implementation for school age children who are DHH.
Summary or associated LSL research;
- School-age child developmental factors;
- Changing role of the family;
- Integration of linguistic, auditory, cognitive, socio-emotional and speech development of school age children using LSL;
- Red flags for development;
- Review of assessment, benchmarking, and reporting for school-age children;
- Identification and analysis of LSL teaching behaviours used with school age children;
- Working with allied colleagues;and
- Supporting classroom teachers.
- LSL pedagogical practices
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies programs (11008 or 12365) or Master of Special Education programs (10936, 12356, or 40014).
Qualified Teacher of the Deaf, Audiologist, or Speech Language Pathologist LSL: Fundamentals
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case study, problem based learning
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Tutorial: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Attendance at online tutorials is a compulsory.