Listening and Spoken Language: School Age Children
|Course code EDUC6862||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course is designed to assist the practitioner with the identification and application of theory to the auditory-based spoken language development of school age children who are deaf/hard of hearing (D/HH). The course focuses on the assessment, facilitation, and if necessary, remediation of linguistic, auditory, cognitive, and socio-emotional, and speech skills via an integrated approach to learning.
RIDBC Renwick Centre administers this course. Before enrolling in this course, review the RIDBC Renwick Centre Student Handbook at http://www.ridbc.org.au/renwick/courses/current.php .
Available in 2015
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to demonstrate the following skill/knowledge:|
1. Research associated with the listening and spoken language development of school age children who are DHH;
2. Critical analysis of listening and spoken language teaching behaviours used with school age children who are DHH; and
3. Benchmarking, goal setting and program implementation for school age children who are DHH.
|Content||Summary or associated LSL research;|
1. School-age child developmental factors;
2. Changing role of the family;
3. Integration of linguistic, auditory, cognitive, socio-emotional and speech development of school age children using LSL;
4. Red flags for development;
5. Review of assessment, benchmarking, and reporting for school-age children;
6. Identification and analysis of LSL teaching behaviours used with school age children;
7. Working with allied colleagues;and
8. Supporting classroom teachers.
9. LSL pedagogical practices
|Replacing Course(s)||Not applicable|
|Assumed Knowledge||- Qualified Teacher of the Deaf, Audiologist, or Speech Language Pathologist|
- LSL: Fundamentals
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Integrated Learning|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 9 hour(s) per Week for 13 weeks|
Tutorial: for 13 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EDUC6862|