Listening and Spoken Language: Early Intervention
This course is designed to assist the practitioner with the identification and application of theory to the auditory-based spoken language development of infants and children who are deaf/hard of hearing (D/HH). The course focuses on the integration of linguistic, auditory, cognitive, socio-emotional and speech skills via a family-centred approach to development.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Research associated with the listening and spoken language development of infants and children who are DHH;
2. Critical analysis of early intervention listening and spoken language teaching behaviours used with children who are DHH and their families;and
3. Benchmarking, goal setting and program implementation for infants and children who are DHH and their families.
Topics will include:
- Summary of associated LSL research;
- Infant and child developmental factors;
- Identification of LSL early intervention teaching behaviours;
- Family-centred practice in early intervention;
- Adult learning styles;
- Review of assessment, benchmarking, and reporting in early intervention;
- Integration of linguistic, auditory, cognitive, socio-emotional and speech development of infants and children using LSL; and
- Red flags for development.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies 11008, Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies 12365 or the Master of Special Education 10936 or the Master of Special Education 12356.
Qualified Teacher of the Deaf, Audiologist, or Speech Language Pathologist LSL: Fundamentals
Written Assignment: Essays/Written Assignments
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Problem-based Learning
Face to Face On Campus 18 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face Off Campus 120 hour(s) per Term
Students are required to attend a 3 day campus conference at the RIDBC Renwick Centre. The twenty days (120 hours) of practicum is an OPTIONAL course requirement. Consult Renwick Centre staff for further advice.
Self-Directed 9 hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks