Listening and Spoken Language: Foundations
|Course code EDUC6860||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course provides the student with an introduction to the specialised methodology auditory-based spoken language (auditory-verbal therapy/education) for children who are deaf/hard of hearing (DHH).
RIDBC Renwick Centre administers this course. Before enrolling in this course, review the RIDBC Renwick Centre Handbook at http://www.ridbc.org.au/renwick/courses/current.php.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge in the following area:|
1. History of auditory-verbal practice;
2. Principles of auditory-verbal practice;
3. Principles of ethical practice;
4. Principles of a family-centred approach;
5. An integrated understanding of the linguistic, auditory, cognitive, socio-emotional and speech development of children who are DHH.
|Content||Topics will include:|
1.History of auditory-verbal practice;
2.Principles of auditory-verbal practice;
3.Principles of ethical practice;
4.Principles of a family-centred approach;
5.Integration of linguistic, auditory, cognitive, socio-emotional and speech development of children who are DHH;
6.Listening and spoken language development evidence-based practice; and
7.Listening and spoken language pedagogical practices.
|Replacing Course(s)||Not Applicable|
|Assumed Knowledge||- Speech Science and Speech Development|
- Foundations of Language and Literacy Development
- Audiology for Special Educators
- Speech Language and Literacy Assessment and Remediation
- Inclusive and collaborative Practice in Sensory Disability
- Child Development: Family and Community Contexts
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Integrated Learning|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Problem Based Learning: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Email Discussion Group: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self Directed Learning: for 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EDUC6860|