Advanced Pedagogy in Signed Language
Available in 2013
|WebLearn GradSchool||Semester 1|
This course develops advanced knowledge and a high level of competence in the use of signed language for pedagogical purposes.
RIDBC Renwick Centre administers this course. Before enrolling in this course, review the RIDBC Renwick Centre Student Handbook at http://www.ridbc.org.au/renwick/courses/current.php . Completion of this course requires attendance at a compulsory campus conference. Dates and venues of campus conferences are available in the RIDBC Renwick Centre Timetable located at http://www.ridbc.org.au/renwick/courses/current.php .
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to:
1. Demonstrate advanced skill in the use of Auslan and, as appropriate, other types of sign communication used in bilingual education settings;
2. Describe the principal linguistic features of Auslan relevant to its use as a language of instruction;
3. Use the range of currently available procedures for assessing Auslan development in children;
4. Demonstrate the ability to assess the English language and literacy abilities of students who use signed language; and
5. Demonstrate the process of translation between English and Auslan for educational purposes.
|Content||Topics will include:
- Introduction to the linguistic features of Auslan relevant to its use as a language of instruction;
- Theory and practice of code-switching between different types of sign communication, including natural sign systems;
- Demonstration and analysis of specific teaching techniques using signed language, including explanation of new concepts, using questioning effectively, and managing group discussions;
- Translating texts from English to Auslan;
- Translating texts from Auslan to English;
- Theory and practice in assessing Auslan development.
- Assessing and teaching English language and literacy through sign language;
- Assessing and teaching aspects of spoken language skills for students who sign (including visual phonics); and
- Creating and adapting resources for sign language- using families and classrooms.
|Assumed Knowledge||Mandatory course requirement: Auslan Proficiency Rating Scale Level 3 or equivalent.
All core courses in MSpecEd or demonstrated equivalent.
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Experience Based Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 30 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Self Directed Learning: for 6 hour(s) per Week for 13 weeks
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for EDUC6858|