Professional Experience in Sensory Disability - Extension
This course provides teachers with extended practical experience in settings in which individuals with sensory disabilities are educated. Skills in planning, implementing, managing, and evaluating educational and/or(re)habilitative programs will be practised and assessed.
- Semester 2 - 2015
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Critically evaluate their own professional practice;
2. Identify specific learning objectives;
3. Plan, deliver and evaluate approriate learning experiences consistent with those objectives;
4. Employ a range of appropriate and differentiated teaching behaviours;
5. Develop stimulating teaching/learning environments and experiences;
6. Demonstrate effective interdisciplinary team participation that support the needs of children across a range of educational environments; and
7. Use a range of appropriate technologies to support the delivery of learning experiences.
On their practicums, students are expected to experience the following:
- The evidence base for various teaching behaviours/practices;
- Specific teaching behaviours and strategies;
- Curriculum modification/adaptation;
- Development of individualised learning plans (e.g., IFSP/IEP);
- Communicative requirements of different teaching-learning situations;
- A variety of assessment tools;
- Analysing, interpreting and integrating assessment results for a range of curriculum purposes;
- Evaluating effectiveness of programs/intervention strategies;
- Procedures for checking and maintaining sensory devices;
- Management of student records/data;
- Roles and responsibilities of professionals and para-professionals in educational environments;
- Ethical requirements and issues;
- Process for developing individualized educational plans; and
- Managing current and evolving technology.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies or the Master of Special Education programs.
A minimum of four core courses in the MSpecEd or equivalent
Professional Task: Practicum
Written Assignment: Practicum Portfolio
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Practicum: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Completion of 45 days practicum is a compulsory course component.
Face to Face Off Campus 270 hour(s) per Term
A minimum 45 days practicum is required.