Quality Teaching in Practice: Secondary
|Course code EDUC6773||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course is focused on developing students’ professional knowledge and practice in a supportive school-based learning environment. A key focus is on the student’s ability to gather evidence to demonstrate a developing capacity across all graduate-level elements of the Australian Professional Teaching Standards. This course builds on students’ experiences with Teach Outreach activities undertaken in schools in the first year of their teacher education program. A strong focus will be on assisting students to recognise and understand how coursework and educational research inform quality teaching and assessment practice. Directed activities will be used to assist students in connecting and interrogating what is studied at university with classroom and school-based practices and experiences. These activities will develop an advanced and critical understanding of the 7-12 classroom context. Students will have the opportunity to engage in professional learning about practice through a collegial professional learning community informed specifically by the NSW Quality Teaching model, known as Quality Teaching Rounds. Collaborative activities will supplement the learning experiences designed and enacted by the co-operating teacher, as well as the wider school community.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||Through undertaking this course, students will be expected to:|
1. Construct, implement and evaluate unit/s of work.
2. Engage in critical reflection on their development and learning as an ethical teacher.
3. Use and refine strategies provided by QT Rounds for identifying professional learning strengths and needs, critical analysis, individual and collegial support.
4. Develop strategies for engagement with the wider school community and the world beyond the classroom/school.
5. Engage in the full life of school including student sport, playground supervision, faculty/grade/stage meetings, school activities and functions.
6. Demonstrate progress towards the attainment of Graduate Teacher Standards through directed electronic portfolio activities.
7. Demonstrate a capacity to carry out analysis of data and communicate findings to a range of stakeholders.
|Content||* Approaches to curriculum design in practice|
* Frameworks for understanding, interpreting, and critically reflecting upon professional practice
* Graduate teacher standards
* Strategies for implementing Quality Teaching, including one-to-one, small group and whole class instruction; explicit instruction and cooperative learning
|Assumed Knowledge||One of the following courses depending on your teaching area: EDUC6490, EDUC6445, EDUC6499, EDUC6180, EDUC6552, EDUC6336, EDUC6250, EDUC6243, EDUC6236, EDUC6492, EDUC6493, EDUC6360.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Integrated Learning|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 10 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Lecture: for 10 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EDUC6773|