Quality Teaching in Secondary Classrooms
This course provides students with the foundational knowledge and skills that they will need in order to become a secondary teacher and maximise the achievement of learning outcomes for all students. It introduces students to principles and practice of quality teaching, by focusing on approaches to teaching that (a) promote high levels of intellectual quality; (b) establish high quality contexts for learning; and (c) generate significance for learners. Students will have the opportunity to analyse, design, evaluate and reflect upon quality classroom and assessment practice.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Synthesise a broad research base to deepen their understandings of the foundations of quality teaching in secondary schools;
2. Plan and teach a lesson that supports high levels of intellectual quality; establishes a high quality learning environment and generates significance for learners;
3. Critically evaluate and reflect upon classroom teaching based on their understanding of quality classroom practice; and
4. Apply the principles of quality teaching to the design and evaluation of assessment tasks; and
The following course content will be addressed in the context of quality teaching in secondary schools:
- becoming a quality teacher;
- promoting intellectual quality;
- establishing high quality learning environments;
- generating significance for learners;
- planning and reflecting upon quality classroom practice; and
- planning and reflecting upon quality assessment practice.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Teaching (Secondary) program.
Written Assignment: Assessment Task 1: Quality Assessment Practice
Written Assignment: Assessment Task 2: Quality Classroom Practice
Face to Face On Campus 14 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 12 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 7 hour(s) per Term