Engineering Studies 4
This course introduces students to engineering studies providing a context within which to develop general competencies considered essential for the acquisition of effective, higher-order thinking skills necessary for further education, work and everyday life.
Key competencies are embedded in the engineering studies syllabus to enhance student learning. The key competencies of collecting, analysing and organising information reflect core processes of inquiry and reporting which are explicit in the objectives and outcomes of engineering studies. The other key competencies are developed through the methodologies of the syllabus and through classroom pedagogy.
In particular the course will focus on the historical development of engineering from it's origin to the role of engineers in society today as well as a study of the sociological and environmental factors that impact upon engineers and their work.
- Semester 2 - 2016
1. Explore the scope of engineering both nationally and from a global perspective.
2. Enable themselves to act in the role of the engineer to solve engineering dilemmas.
3. Extend knowledge of developments in technology and an appreciation of their influence on people and engineering practice.
4. Investigates the extent and influence of technological change in engineering and its effect on people and society.
5. Study the social, environmental and cultural implications of technological change in engineering and applied them to the analysis of specific problems.
6. Critically analyse current worldwide innovations and emerging technologies and their possible impact on engineering practice and society.
7. Synthesise solutions to engineering problems by applying knowledge of history and technological innovation and change to engineering based problems.
Development of knowledge and understanding about the historical and contemporary evolution of engineering. The focus will be on the role of engineers within Australia and globally. A focus of this study will be the sociological and environmental impact on engineering. Development of a range of holistic skills in problem solving relating to engineering.
Study contemporary innovations and emerging technologies used in the field on engineering. This focus will be used to gain a more global view of engineers and engineer roles in our society.
Undergraduate degree in TAS or Science KLA
Presentation: Multimedia Presentation
Project: Engineering Challenge
Integrated Learning Session
Online 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term