Narrative and Discourse Analysis in Education
This course explores how narrative and discourse analytic approaches can be used in educational research. It will explore the emergence of narrative inquiry and discourse analysis in the social sciences, and examine the issues and debates that centre on their use as research methodologies.
Not currently available.
1. Critically engage with contemporary issues and debates around narrative inquiry and discourse analysis in educational and social science research;
2. Explore the ethics and use of narrative inquiry and discourse analysis as research methodologies;
3. Develop a capacity for presenting and evaluating narrative and discourse analytic research; and
4. Develop a capacity to design research projects based on narrative and discourse analysis.
The following list indicates indicative course content:
- Contemporary issues and debates about narrative inquiry and discourse analysis in educational and social science research.
- The ethics of narrative and discourse analysis as research methodologies.
- Narrative methods of inquiry (i.e. bibliography, auto-ethnography, collective biography, etc.)
- Discourse analytic approaches (i.e. Foucauldian, Critical Discourse Analysis, etc.)
- Research design.
- Approaches to presenting narrative and discourse analytic research.
Written Assignment: Evaluating narrative based inquiry
Written Assignment: Designing narrative or discourse based research