Educating in the Knowledge Economy
Not available in 2013
Previously offered in 2011
In this course students will be introduced to the concept and context of the knowledge economy and examine the impact of this concept on educational practice. Other aspects of contemporary education will be examined such as globalisation and educational technology. Students will examine these issues and engage with current philosophical and sociological theory and research.
|Objectives||This course provides students with the opportunity to:
1. examine the concept of the knowledge economy and the attendant socio-cultural, historical and political context.
2. develop a critical awareness of the current educational context, in which particular consideration will be given to the role of globalisation and technology;
3. develop and articulate a coherent response to a chosen contemporary educational issue; and
4. demonstrate appropriate levels of critical thinking, research and reflection in regards to developing and providing a philosophical response to a current educational issue.
|Content||The following list indicates indicative course content:
1.The meaning and impact of the knowledge economy on contemporary educational policy and practice
2.The role of and philosophy of technology in education
3. Educating for Global citizenship and the globalisation of education
4. Informational literacy and measures of educational achievement.
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Seminar: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|