This course is designed to provoke students' awareness of the history and culture of Australian Indigenous people, deepen students' understanding of issues and what works in Indigenous education, and examine ways in which reconciliation can be achieved through education.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Develop a critical understanding of key concepts related to Indigenous education;
2. Critically evaluate what works in Indigenous education; and
3. Examine ways in which reconciliation can be achieved through education.
The following list indicates indicative course content:
- precontact Indigenous Australia
- postcontact Indigenous Australia
- contemporary issues
- Indigenous education policies past to present
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander studies across the curriculum
- teaching Indigenous culture
- the importance of community
- Indigenous ways of knowing
- the role of education in reconciliation
Written Assignment: Essays/Written assignments
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Studies