Socio-cultural Context for ESL/EFL Teaching
This course develops students' understanding of the socio-cultural contexts affecting ESL/EFL language teaching and learning. Topics include language policies used in Australia and overseas, the impact of language policies and community needs on language teaching in school curriculum, the cultural issues related to ESL/EFL and the educational environment for ESL/EFL teachers and students with various cultural backgrounds.
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the foundations and key concepts of socio-cultural contexts;
2. Analyse the cultural issues related to ESL/EFL, the interaction between teachers and students with various cultural backgrounds; and
3. Apply the theory of socio-cultural context in the practice of ESL/EFL teaching.
The following list indicates indicative course content:
- Fundamental concepts of socio-cultural contexts
- The impact of socio-cultural contexts on school language curriculum
- Research on cultural issues related to ESL/EFL teaching and learning
- Classroom interaction in a multi-cultural setting
This course replaces EDUC6121. If you have successfully completed EDUC6121 you cannot enrol in this course.
Written Assignment: Report and Power Point
Essay: Research Essay
Integrated Learning Session
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term