Current information on boys and literacies in Australia and internationally will be examined. Boys' reading preferences and habits and literacy results will be investigated. The course will involve a discussion of boys learning styles in literacy and a range of reading approaches and programs will be reviewed. There will be a discussion of multi-literacies and approaches including computer literacies, visual literacies and the use of a range of technologies will be critically examined. Students will be encouraged to develop/implement strategies and programs to successfully engage boys in literacies.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Examine evidence of boys literacy achievements and preferences
2. Discuss range of literacies
3. Examine approaches and strategies to literacies that engage boys
- Recent national and international evidence of boys literacy achievements and preferences.
- Information on current definitions and scope of literacies and literacy programs and approaches
- Critical review of current literacy programs and approaches
- Case studies of programs and approaches to literacies that engage boys.
Written Assignment: Examination of methods to investigate the literacy preferences, reading habits and practices of boys
Written Assignment: Report - Design and implement or critically analyse a multi-literacy program for a group of boys
Online Learning Activity: Blog Postings