Boys and Literacies
Current information on boys and literacies in Australia and internationally will be examined. Boys' reading preferences and habits and literacy results will be investigated. The course will involve a discussion of boys learning styles in literacy and a range of reading approaches and programs will be reviewed. There will be a discussion of multi-literacies and approaches including computer literacies, visual literacies and the use of a range of technologies will be critically examined. Students will be encouraged to develop/implement strategies and programs to successfully engage boys in literacies.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Examine evidence of boys literacy achievements and preferences
2. Discuss range of literacies
3. Examine approaches and strategies to literacies that engage boys
- Recent national and international evidence of boys literacy achievements and preferences.
- Information on current definitions and scope of literacies and literacy programs and approaches
- Critical review of current literacy programs and approaches
- Case studies of programs and approaches to literacies that engage boys.
Written Assignment: Examination of methods to investigate the literacy preferences, reading habits and practices of boys
Written Assignment: Report - Design and implement or critically analyse a multi-literacy program for a group of boys
Online Learning Activity: Blog Postings
Self-Directed 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Equivalent 2 face to face contact hours per week.