Not available in 2012
Previously offered in 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004
Builds on students? understandings of the responsibilities and obligations of belonging to the profession of science teaching. They will gain a critical understanding of science education and federal and state policy in this area. Students will understand the rationale and aims of the Science: Stages 4-5 and Stage 6 Senior Science syllabi in NSW while developing the skills to plan, implement and evaluate units of work in a school context. They will gain a theoretical knowledge of and practical skills in the application of science education methods in an integrated science context. Students will develop skills in the management of the major functions of science lesson organisation and delivery to an acceptable level of competence.
On satisfactory completion of this course students should be able to:
? Extend their understandings of the responsibilities and obligations belonging to the profession of teaching;
? Understand the rationale and aims of integrated science education;
? Develop an understanding of the nature of integrated science methods;
? Manage major teaching functions of lesson organisation;
? Develop planning skills required for effective sequencing of learning experiences, taking into account issues related to curriculum knowledge and effective classroom management strategies;
? Planning, delivering and evaluating simple science lessons;
? Develop assessment of student learning appropriate for integrated science contexts;
? Interpret school programs in relation to integrated science syllabi;
? Develop the skills to research the content strands of the Science:
Stages4-5 and Stage 6 Senior Science syllabi and design units of work.
* Critical examination of all aspects of the design, implementation and assessment of the new syllabi for integrated science.
* Critical awareness of the resources available to support the implementation of the syllabi.
* Knowledge of current and past policies and educational research which infonns the evaluation of and modification of aspects of
syllabus design and implementation.
* Awareness of current issues related to the NSW Board of Studies Examinations, with specific reference to the integrated curriculum.
* Knowledge and understanding of what makes an effective educational resource (traditional and IT oriented).
* Knowledge of the wider community as a resource for the study of integrated science.
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term