Introduces some of the issues which have been the topic of discussion, debate and research in Special Education in recent years. Among issues dealt with will be the nature of special education, inclusion, supporting a variety of needs, and collaborating with family and professionals. Students will be provided with readings and will be expected to prepare at least one paper which reflects an in-depth study of one of the topics being treated.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Undertake a critical analysis of current issues in special education
2. Develop critical writing skills
3. Explore an area of interest in special education
- What is special education?
- Abuse, discrimination and rights.
- Preventing special needs.
- Approaches to behaviour problems.
- Teacher quality and accountability.
- Collaboration with others.
- Supporting diverse needs.
- Controversial issues.
Written Assignment: Reflection on Key Course Reading
Written Assignment: Critical Reflection on Key Issues
Literature Review: Literature Review
Online 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term