Sensory Systems Perception and Child Development
Provides an understanding of the anatomy and physiology of sensory systems and other human body systems.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
1. Describe the basic anatomy and physiology of the major human body systems.
2. Identify the basic functions of the visual and hearing systems and their role in the development of perception and cognition.
3. Interpret clinical and functional vision reports within the context of physiological mechanisms.
4. Describe the role of genetics and hereditary disorders in sensory impairment and deafblindness.
Topics will include:
- The human body: an orientation.
- Introduction to human body systems and physiological functioning: skeletal, muscular, nervous, cardiovascular and respiratory.
- Anatomy and physiology of the visual and auditory systems.
- Low vision and perceptual functioning.
- Interpretation of clinical and functional vision assessments.
- Hereditary and genetic disorders impacting vision and/or hearing.
- Sensory and multiple impairments; deafblindness.
Written Assignment: Research Paper
Written Assignment: Critical Reviews
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Presentation Package