Social Justice and Early Childhood Education
|Course code EDUC6005||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course aims to engage participants to re-think their constructions of identity, difference and diversity, and social inequalities. By utisliing a host of theoretical approaches it aims to extend participants' understandings of differences related to race, gender, culture, poverty, disability, class, sexuality and the family to re-examine their philosophies, curriculum, pedagogy and practices in relation to these and for doing social justice education with children and their families for personal, institutional and social transformations.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||This course provides students with the opportunity to:|
1. engage with theories that offer understandings about and ways to work with difference;
2. critique theories, philosophy, pedagogy, curriculum and practices employed within the field of early childhood education;
3. challenge and re-consider aspects of early childhood environments and teaching materials;
4. resist stereotyping and discriminatory behaviour and to adopt a reflective practice;
5. engage in activism with young children and families and to build communities of practice with families; and
6. engage with ethics as a basis for social justice.
|Content||The following list indicates indicative course content:|
- Engagement with theoretical perspectives for social justice.
- Gender, Aboriginality, culture, class, poverty, disability, race, sexuality and early childhood education.
- Ethics and early childhood.
- Local and global social relations and implications for early childhood.
- Developing an activist practice for personal, institutional, community and social transformation.
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 5 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Lecture: for 7 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Tutorial: for 14 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EDUC6005|