Excellence and equity: Promoting communities of self directed learners
|Course code EDUC4808||Units 10||Level 4000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course investigates current theories that are related to developing and sustaining communities of learners who are preparing for the challenges of becoming active, responsible members of a society dominated by rapid, technological change. The course on pedagogical practices and perspectives that provide safe learning environments, that acknowledge the individuality of learners and that promote opportunities for individual students to create, monitor and achieve personal learning goals.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to:|
1) Demonstrate an understanding of the current views of the nature of intelligence.
2) Identify the key components of ways in which knowledge is constructed.
3) Understand the current theories relating to the impact of emotional intelligence, positive psychology, intrapersonal intelligence and executive function on individual student's capacities to demonstrate optimal functioning.
4) Critically examine popular programs and the dominating pedagogical foundations that are implemented in school contexts and evaluate their theoretical foundations.
5) Articulate the relationships between interest, volition, conation and improved learning outcomes.
|Content||This course will address topics such as:|
* Educating for the future
* Theories of intelligence
* Cognitive science theory regarding the construction of knowledge
* Intrapersonal intelligence and the development of executive function
* Theories of Emotional intelligence
* Positive Psychology and safe learning frameworks
* The concept of 'flow' and optimal experience
* Developing resilience and characteristics of life long learners
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 12 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 24 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EDUC4808|