Civics and Citizenship Education
This course is intended to enable students to develop and extend understandings of the links between education and citizenship. During the course students investigate the contrasting notions of citizenship operating through curriculum materials. Particular attention will be given to values of education and/or conceptions of active citizenship and how these can be implemented in primary schools.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the key principles and practices associated with Australian civic knowledge;
2. Articulate the different conceptions of civics and citizenship education as manifested in terms like civics, citizenship education, active citizenship, global citizenship and to consider the practical application of these various conceptions;
3. Locate, critique and review values and/or citizenship educational resources and programs;
4. Articulate how to differentiate the curriculum to cater for varying levels of civics and active citizenship expertise in primary school.
This course will address:
- Field trip to visit various institutions and personnel of value for an advanced understanding of civic life in Australia.
- Research and discussion focusing on issues in citizenship education (including, but not limited to, issues such as social justice, Human Rights education, global education, values education, and/or peace education).
- Critical review of current citizenship programs and approaches.
- Classroom application of citizenship education.
To enrol in this course, students must meet the teacher education admission milestones, if commencing a teaching program from commencement of 2016.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of - Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or - 80 units of UoN courses or - BOSTES approved comparable pathways or - Commencement in the program pre 2016
Presentation: A1 - Civics & Citizenship Presentation
Written Assignment: Mini Essays
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Field Study: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must attend all programmed events in situ (Canberra).