Not available in 2013
Previously offered in 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
VET Practicum 1 gives you the opportunity to practically apply learning theory to practice in a classroom, workshop or other learning environments. You will also be involved in a mentoring process with your observing assessors (OA) who are experienced teacher / trainers. The OA will give you positive and constructive feedback and discuss new opportunities for learning applications. This process will be combined with a range of structured and reflective activities.
|Objectives||Students should be able to:
1. demonstrate an initial understanding of the role of the teacher as a professional;
2. analyse class context and identify special needs;
3. demonstrate the ability to plan, implement, manage, assess and evaluate teaching and learning in discrete lessons;
4. demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with students peers and colleague teachers;
5. demonstrate an initial understanding of teachers' work in vocational education and training systems; and
6. demonstrate the ability to critically reflect on their own practice.
|Content||VET Practicum 1 will involve completing a range of assessment tasks plus a minimum of two observations.
The observation time gives an opportunity to inquire, experiment and reflect on the subtleties and complexities of the classroom, workshop or other learning environment.
As a teacher / trainer / facilitator you will develop through the tasks and observations:
1. personal attributes and collaborative skills valued by the profession (eg respect for learners, team work, innovation, flexibility, self reflection)
2. knowledge and skills in planning for learning
3. knowledge and skills in establishing and maintaining appropriate learning environments, assessments and feedback strategies to support learning
4. holistic understanding of learning communities
|Assumed Knowledge||Certificate IV in assessment and Workplace Training|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Contact Hours||Practicum: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term