Extended Studies in Mathematics 2
This course explores the principles and practices of teaching and learning Stage 6 Mathematics in secondary schools. It will place particular emphasis on contemporary policies, issues and standards in mathematics, both national and international, as they apply to the NSW secondary senior mathematics curriculum. Specific attention will be given to innovative research-informed teaching and assessment strategies for the Mathematics classroom.
- Semester 1 - 2016
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Develop lesson plans, programs and assessment tasks for Stage 6 Mathematics, using a range of strategies, technologies and resources.
2. Interpret the course and assessment requirements of the NSW Higher School Certificate for Mathematics.
3. Discuss policies, issues, standards and trends, both national and international, related to the teaching of Mathematics in schools.
4. Engage in research-informed teaching of Mathematics.
- Lesson planning, programming and assessment for Stage 6 Mathematics.
- Course and assessment requirements of the NSW Higher School Certificate for Mathematics.
- Current policies, issues, standards and trends, both national and international, related to the teaching of Mathematics in schools.
- Strategies, technologies and resources for teaching and assessing Stage 6 Mathematics.
- Current research into Mathematics teaching and its implications for pedagogical practice.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of - Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or - 80 units of UoN courses or - BOSTES approved comparable pathways or - Commencement in the program pre 2016
Written Assignment: Essays/Written Assignments
Proposal / Plan: Lesson Plan
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 6 hour(s) per Term
Integrated Learning will typically consist of a series of online activities.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks