Special Education Internship
Requires the student to undertake 50 days of full time school based experience in different special education settings. The Intern will be responsible for half the colleague teacher's teaching load. In addition, Interns will be expected to interact within the school and its community.
Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2016
1. Demonstrate a detailed understanding of the role of the special education teacher as a professional;
2. Analyse community, school and class contexts and identify the need for planning;
3. Demonstrate the ability to plan, implement, manage, assess and evaluate teaching and learning in both short and long term in multiple contexts within the environment of the school;
4. Demonstrate the ability to communicate with students, colleague teacher, school staff and community members;
5. Demonstrate a detailed understanding of teachers' work in school systems; and
6. Demonstrate the ability to critically reflect on their own practice.
The subject requires 50 days of school-based experience in different special education settings. Students are expected to demonstrate competency in: general professional attributes, content studies; teaching and learning - planning, implementation, and management; assessment and evaluation; literacy and communication; and working in schools, systems and communities.
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
- Bachelor of Teaching (Primary) / Bachelor of Arts (12215)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) / Bachelor of Fine Art (12217)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Second) / Bachelor of Hlth and Physical Education (12218)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) / Bachelor of Mathematics (12223)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Humanities) (Honours) (12368)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Health and Physical Education) (Honours) (12370)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Science) (Honours) (12372)
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
Students must be active in one of the following programs: 12367, 12370, 12372, 12215, 12216, 12214, 12217, 12218, 12223, 12219, 12368, and have successfully completed EDUC3026, EDUC3186 and EDUC2186.
have completed 270 units
Bachelor of Teaching (Primary) (Hons) EDUC3026, EDUC2186 (or EDUC2185) and EDUC3186 (or EDUC3185). Bachelor of Teaching (Humanities) (Hons), Bachelor of Teaching (Health and Physical Education) (Hons) and Bachelor of Teaching (Science) (Hons): EDUC3026, EDUC2196 (or EDUC2195) and EDUC3196 (or EDUC3195). In addition, students undertaking the Internship must have successfully completed 240 credit points of Bachelor of Teaching/relevant discipline degree.
Report: Professional Experience Report
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Lecture: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions.
- Tutorial: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions.
- Anaphylaxis Training - Students must complete approved anaphylaxis training.
- Child Protection Awareness Training - Students must complete approved child protection awareness training.
- Working with Children - A national criminal history check and review of findings of misconduct involving children, required for any child-related work.
Callaghan, Ourimbah and Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face Off Campus 5 day(s) per Week for 10 Weeks
50 day Internship
Face to Face On Campus 12 hour(s) per Term
Students must attend 6 two-hour lectures that contain information directly pertinent to their placement. Check the course Blackboard site for days and times of these must-attend lectures.