Special Education Internship
|Course code EDUC4060||Units 20||Level 4000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
Requires the student to undertake 50 days of full time school based experience in different special education settings. The Intern will be responsible for half the colleague teacher's teaching load. In addition Interns will be expected to interact within the school and its community.
Professional Experience: this course has a compulsory 50 day full time professional experience component.
The University of Newcastle, the NSW Institute of Teachers and our education partners in schools and centres require that all students demonstrate a commitment to professional teaching practice by attending and engaging in lectures, tutorials and other activities provided by the university within our Teacher Education programs.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||After successfully completing EDUC4060 Internship students should be able to:|
1. demonstrate a detailed understanding of the role of the special education teacher as a professional;
2. analyse community, school and class contexts and identify the need for planning;
3. demonstrate the ability to plan, implement, manage, assess and evaluate teaching and learning in both short and long term in multiple contexts within the environment of the school;
4. demonstrate the ability to communicate with students, colleague teacher, school staff and community members;
5. demonstrate a detailed understanding of teachers' work in school systems; and
6. demonstrate the ability to critically reflect on their own practice.
|Content||The subject requires 50 days of school-based experience in different special education settings. Students are expected to demonstrate competency in: general professional attributes, content studies; teaching and learning - planning, implementation, and management; assessment and evaluation; literacy and communication; and working in schools, systems and communities.|
|Assumed Knowledge||EDUC3023 or EDUC3142|
In addition, students undertaking the Internship must have successfully completed 240 credit points of Bachelor of Teaching/relevant discipline degree.
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 8 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 12 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EDUC4060|