Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010
This course allows students to research and consider the role and value of Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PD/H/PE) in contemporary society and the broader curriculum. Students will explore the principles and practices of teaching and learning in post-compulsory PD/H/PE, experience planning and programming for Stage 6 PD/H/PE, Community and Family Studies (CAFS), Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation (SLR), PD/H/PE Life Skills as well as Crossroads courses. Students will also explore course assessment requirements of the Higher School Certificate for Stage 6 PD/H/PE; and information technologies and resources for teaching and assessing senior students.
Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to:
1) demonstrate a strong and developing knowledge and understanding of the role of PD/H/PE in the post compulsory school curriculum (Year 11-12);
2) demonstrate an understanding of the rationale, content and policies related to Stage 6 PD/H/PE, CAFS, SLR and Life Skills syllabi as well as the Crossroads senior course;
3) demonstrate skills in, and show knowledge of, the nature, sources and application of information technology resources for the senior syllabi being studied in this course;
4) develop an understanding of the HSC requirements for Stage 6 syllabi studied in this course
5) develop increasing competence in the areas of assessment, reporting and evaluation procedures for Stage 6 learning;
6) demonstrate an understanding of teaching practices that fosters lifelong learning;
This course will cover the following content:
* Curriculum overview of Stage 6 senior school studies. Implementative considerations, planning and parameters for a school program
* Programming Stage 6 - 2 Unit PDHPE - Rationale, course methodology, key competencies and course structure.
* Stage 6 PDHPE - Scope and sequence design.
* Stage 6 Assessment standards, type of assessment and assessment design.
* Marking assessment tasks and development of criteria and marking guidelines for Stage 6 courses.
* Resources to support Stage 6
* Programming and assessment design for Stage 6 Community and Family Studies course.
* Programming and Assessment for Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation courses.
* Effective principles and practices of teaching and learning in senior school studies. Critical reflection of state, national and global senior studies and cultural perspectives of health and physical education
* Programming and implementation of the crossroads course.
* Programming and assessment of other Stage 6 HPE related courses including Life Skills requirements.
* Evaluation and revision of the course.
Modes of Delivery
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks