Early Childhood Curriculum Studies II
|Course code EDUC3151||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
Extends understandings of early childhood education by examining sociocultural, political and systemic influences on early childhood curriculum in school settings. Students engage in critical analysis of contemporary approaches to curriculum, and approaches to promoting children's positive behaviour in the early years of school.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004|
|Objectives||Students will demonstrate:|
1. understandings of sociocultural, political and systemic influences on early childhood curriculum.
2. understandings of, and skills in critically analysing curriculum approaches and issues, with particular emphasis on the early years of school.
3. competencies in curriculum planning for schools.
4. Understanding of effective strategies for supporting children's positive behaviour in the early years of school.
5. collaborative learning and teamwork skills.
6. skills in communicating with peers, parents and other professionals.
. sociocultural, political and systemic influences on curriculum
. curriculum approaches - Reggio Emilia, Antibias, Values Education, Quality Teaching, Partnerships
. programming for schools
. integrated curriculum unit planning
. curriculum issues - school entry age, transition to school, early school years, pedagogy
|Assumed Knowledge||All Year 1 Courses|
All Year 2 Courses
EDUC3001, EDUC3150, EDUC3145, EDUC3103
Concurrent knowledge EDUC3002, SOCA1040
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Field Study|
Experience Based Learning
|Contact Hours||Field Study: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 4 weeks|
Tutorial: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks