Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Develops understanding and skills for working in early childhood settings and primary schools with children with additional needs. The course satisfies the New South Wales Government's requirement that a person seeking employment as a teacher in the NSW public education system must have completed a program containing special education content. It also addresses the 0-5 years period of child development and examines the impact of disability and developmental delay on children and their families.
This course provides students with the opportunity to:
1. identify and discuss issues, attitudes and concepts relevant to the education of students with diverse needs within the social context of their early childhood setting or school;
2. demonstrate knowledge of legislation, educational policies and provisions as well as syllabus documents relating to students with diverse needs including those with a disability;
3. utilise a range of teaching and learning practices designed to maximise the social and learning experiences of students with diverse needs in early childhood and primary settings;
4. develop understanding of the role of families in supporting a child with a disability and the role of the teacher as a collaborative participant in developing effective educational programs; and
5. demonstrate awareness of the impact of additional needs on children 0-12 years of age.
- Diverse needs and inclusive practices
- Legislation, policy and educational services in NSW pre-schools and schools.
- Individual goals + learning support plans
- Play skills, assessing and addressing delays in social/emotional skills
- Implementing reasonable adjustments to meet specific learning needs
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- Assessing and addressing delays in literacy/numeracy skills
- Development of skills for collaborating with families and other professionals
- Encouraging positive interactions
- Resources to support inclusion
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 2 weeks
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 11 weeks