Early Childhood Special Education
|Course code EDUC3103||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
Develops understanding and skills for working in early childhood settings and primary schools with children with additional needs. The course satisfies the New South Wales Government's requirement that a person seeking employment as a teacher in the NSW public education system must have completed a program containing special education content. It also addresses the 0-5 years period of child development and examines the impact of disability and developmental delay on children and their families.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||This course provides students with the opportunity to:|
1. identify and discuss issues, attitudes and concepts relevant to the education of students with diverse needs within the social context of their early childhood setting or school;
2. demonstrate knowledge of legislation, educational policies and provisions as well as syllabus documents relating to students with diverse needs including those with a disability;
3. utilise a range of teaching and learning practices designed to maximise the social and learning experiences of students with diverse needs in early childhood and primary settings;
4. develop understanding of the role of families in supporting a child with a disability and the role of the teacher as a collaborative participant in developing effective educational programs; and
5. demonstrate awareness of the impact of additional needs on children 0-12 years of age.
- Diverse needs and inclusive practices
- Legislation, policy and educational services in NSW pre-schools and schools.
- Individual goals + learning support plans
- Play skills, assessing and addressing delays in social/emotional skills
- Implementing reasonable adjustments to meet specific learning needs
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- Assessing and addressing delays in literacy/numeracy skills
- Development of skills for collaborating with families and other professionals
- Encouraging positive interactions
- Resources to support inclusion
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 11 weeks|
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 6 weeks
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EDUC3103|