Specialist Studies in Mathematics 2
|Course code EDUC3090||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course deepens students' understanding of the principles and practices of teaching and learning Mathematics in secondary schools. Students will explore course, programming and assessment requirements of the Higher School Certificate for Mathematics. Specific attention will be given to the literacy and numeracy demands of Mathematics as an area of study.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students will have the capacity to:|
1. Interpret the course, programming and assessment requirements of the Higher School Certificate for Mathematics;
2. Support the literacy and numeracy demands of mathematics as an area of study.
3. Address common misconceptions students hold with regard to mathematical concepts.
|Content||* Course, programming and assessment requirements of the NSW School Certificate and Higher School Certificate for Mathematics.|
* Key concepts, forms of mathematical proof, and reasoning.
* Methods for addressing common misconceptions of mathematical concepts.
* Strategies, technologies and resources for assessing mathematical understanding.
|Assumed Knowledge||EDUC1101 or EDUC2101|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Integrated Learning: for 6 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 8 weeks
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 8 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EDUC3090|