Extended Studies in the Humanities
|Course code EDUC3038||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
This course is designed to extend students theoretical understanding of literacy, and practical application of literacy teaching methodologies in the Humanities. Students will analyse the functional, cultural, personal, and critical literacy demands of their disciplinary specialisation, and expand their repertoire of strategies for teaching reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing and representing in the secondary classroom. Attention will also be given to the selection of appropriate methodologies and materials for students who require additional language and literacy support, and to cater for the learning needs of multilingual students.
Not available in 2015
|Previously offered in 2014|
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to:|
1)Understand contemporary models of literacy and language development.
2)Identify the multimodal literacy demands of their disciplinary specialisation.
3)Develop an understanding of functional, cultural, personal, and critical literacies.
4)Identify the language and literacy capacities and needs of students in their care.
5)Demonstrate a capacity to design curriculum using research-informed models and apply strategies for assessing and teaching language and literacy of native English speakers, students from Non-English speaking backgrounds, and students with additional language and literacy needs.
|Content||This course will address:|
* The literacy debates and the Changing Dimensions of Literacy in the 21st Century.
* The Four Resources Model and literacy as a social practice.
* Functional, Cultural, Personal, and Critical Literacies.
* Running Records and Miscue Analysis in the teaching and assessing of Reading and Writing.
* The Literacy Learning Cycle (Modelling, Guiding, Fading)
* Teaching Receptive and Productive Language skills in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
* Teaching Visual and Performative Literacies in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
|Replacing Course(s)||This course will replace EDUC4070 for students in the BTeach/BA and BTeach/BFA.|
|Transition||Completion of EDUC4070 before 2010 will be considered the equivalent of completing EDUC3038.|
|Assumed Knowledge||Students must be majoring in an area of the Humanities or Social Sciences.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 12 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term