Professional Experience 2
Not available in 2013
Previously offered in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Program of approximately 20 days duration or equivalent undertaken in a school or relevant teaching placement. This practicum is normally done out of area (ie. distant from Newcastle).
||Student teachers should demonstrate:
1. An understanding of the classroom role of the teacher in the context of school, system and society;
2. Lesson planning and effective teaching skills, classroom management skills, contextually appropriate teaching strategies and human relation and interpersonal skills;
3. The ability to plan a series of learning activities cognisant of learners' backgrounds and needs, of subject demands and policies, and of specific contextual conditions; and
4. An understanding of teachers' work by working effectively as a member of a school team.
||The subject requires the equivalent of 20 days school based or relevant teaching experience with components of teaching, observation and reflections. The major emphasis is on progressive planning, teaching, and management skills as the student teachers take greater responsibility in their professional experience placement.
||EDTE402 and EDSY301 will run concurrently in 2002. After 2002 EDTE402 will be deleted and students who have not successfully completed EDTE402 will enrol in EDSY301.
||EDUC 2039 Professional Experience 1 and relevant specialist teaching and learning subjects.
|Modes of Delivery
|Other: (please specify)
||Evaulation on selected teaching criteria.
A pass (ungraded) will be recommended when:
1. The School of Education receives the original signed report indicating that the student has met requirements; and
2. The relevant Assistant Director of Professional Experience confirms that all requirements to pass the course have been met.
Withdrawal from a course containing a Placement.
This course contains a professional experience placement, so the official withdrawal policy is different to other University courses. In this course, students may withdraw without academic penalty one week or more before the placement is due to begin. In other words, the official final date for withdrawal is one week prior to commencement of the placement. This will allow prior notice to be given to schools of any students intention to withdraw from the placement, and may allow the place to be re-allocated.
Withdrawal after the official date will usually result in an F grade. If there are special circumstances, students may apply to the Head of School for permission to withdraw from the course, after the official final date, without academic penalty. Permission to withdraw will not normally be given to students who have begun the placement and been placedat riskor advised that they are likely to fail.
||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Practicum: for 120 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Requisite by Enrolment
||This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Teaching (Double Degrees) and Bachelor of Early Childhood Teaching and associated combined degree programs.
Mandatory Program Component.
This course is a Mandatory Program Component. Students must have completed EDUC2039 to progress to EDUC3023. Students must complete EDUC3023 to progress to EDUC4072.
Child protection and Privacy
Before commencing the professional experience placement, students in this course must hold a current child protection certificate; have signed a Prohibited Employment Declaration; and signed a Confidentiality statement.