Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
|Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010
In this course students will explore the content and organisation of the NSW K-6 PDHPE curriculum; examine the knowledge base underpinning the principles and practices of teaching and learning in PDHPE; teaching strategies and resources for programming, teaching and assessing primary PDHPE; the role and value of PDHPE; the place of PDHPE in the K-12 PDHPE continuum (particularly the links between Stage 3 and 4); the literacy and numeracy demands of PDHPE curriculum; ways of differentiating curriculum to meet the diverse needs of learners.
Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the principles and practices of teaching and learning K-6 PDHPE.
2. Discuss the role and value of PDHPE in the broader school curriculum, and its place in the K-12 PDHPE continuum (particularly the links between Stage 3 and 4).
3. Navigate the content, structure and organisation of the NSW K-6 PDHPE curriculum.
4. Demonstrate appropriate teaching strategies for PDHPE.
5. Understand the literacy and numeracy demands of PDHPE.
6. Differentiate curriculum to meet the diverse literacy needs of learners.
The course will cover: PDHPE in Context - the role and value of PDHPE in primary schools; Programming in PDHPE; The classroom teacher and health promotion; Current issues and initiatives in K-6 PDHPE; appropriate teaching strategies for PDHPE.
Modes of Delivery
Workshop: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks