This course provides an introduction to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment for teaching the Stage 5 Elective Technology Syllabi including: Food, Textiles, Engineering and ICT. It provides students with an opportunity to understand the various discourses that inform teachers' knowledge and pedagogical practice as well as critically engaging with models of pedagogy. Students will also develop practical skills in the Food and Textile contexts of the Stage 4 Technology Mandatory Syllabus in NSW.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Design challenging, engaging, and supportive project-based learning activities and assessment for teaching the Stage 5 Elective Technology Syllabi.
2. Critically engage with various approaches to pedagogy / theories that capture the complexities of the curriculum.
3. Demonstrate the use of food/textile skills in creating a product/system/environment and digital folio.
4. Demonstrate the teaching of numeracy skills when weighing, measuring and selecting temperatures to manufacture food/textiles items.
This course introduces students to:Curriculum
- Stage 5 Elective Syllabus
- Stage 4 Mandatory Technology skills in Food and Textiles
- Planning Lessons, Programming/Unit of Work/Resources
- Contemporary approaches to pedagogy (incl. the NSW Quality Teaching framework).
- Academic culture, literacy, numeracy and technacy.
- Design Process and Problem Based Learning
- Teaching Strategies including: Problem Based Learning, Direct Instruction, Discussion, Problem Solving, Secondary and Primary Research, Case Studies, Group work
- Assessment for and of Learning
- Outcome based Assessment
- Programming and Assessment (Informal Tasks)
- Assessing Practical Work
- BOSTES website/ARC Resource Centre
- Food, Textiles
- ICT-Web 2.0 Tools
To enrol in this course, students must meet the teacher education admission milestones, if commencing a teaching program from commencement of 2016.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of - Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or - 80 units of UoN courses or - BOSTES approved comparable pathways or - Commencement in the program pre 2016
Students should have completed EDUC1101. It is expected that they would have enrolled in the Design and Technology tutorial.
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Studies - Development of a Research Proposal
Proposal / Plan: Unit Plan
Project: Exemplary digital design folio
Online 8 hour(s) per Term starting in week 1
Week 1 lecture will be a face to face delivery
Face to Face On Campus 16 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term