Foundations of Early Childhood Education
This course will introduce students to a variety of early childhood services and investigate what it means to become an early childhood educator. Key elements of education for birth to eight-year olds will be studied. These will include the philosophy and practice of early childhood, the social and psychological contexts of children and their families, and the diversity of curricula approaches across child care and school sites. Emphasis will be placed on an approach that recognises young children as active participants in their own life.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2014.
1. Understand the historical developments of early childhood settings;
2. Demonstrate a beginning understanding of curriculum and philosophical frameworks across early education sites
3. Articulate the elements that underpin and constitute early childhood education;
4. Identify key stakeholders;
5. Describe social and psychological aspects of young children and their families in relation to early childhood sites;
6. Situate themselves as beginning early childhood educators.
This course introduces students to:
- the complexities of early childhood services 0-8yrs
- the challenges of being an early childhood educator
- the philosophy and practice of early childhood
- social and psychological contexts of children and their families
- the diversity of curricula approaches across child care and school sites including the NSW Quality Teaching framework, the NSW Curriculum Framework for Children's Services and the Early Years Learning Framework
- Development of self as professional early childhood educator
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Teaching(Primary) / Bachelor Early Childhood Studies and associated programs.
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Assignment 1: In class extended writing task
Written Assignment: Assignment 2: Journal and case study
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks