Foundations of Primary and Secondary Education
Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
|Port Macquarie Nth Coast Inst||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010
This course provides an introduction to education as theory, practice, and field of study. It provides students with an opportunity to understand the various discourses and disciplines that inform teachers' knowledge and pedagogical practice. It introduces students to the understanding of teaching as a profession, and critically engages with models of pedagogy.
Through undertaking this course students will be expected to:
1. Understand the demands of academic culture and literacy, and education as a field of study.
2. Demonstrate an awareness of the contributions of history, philosophy, psychology, and sociology to the understanding of education and the practice of teaching.
3. Critically engage with the notion of teaching as a profession.
4. Critically engage with theories that claim to capture the complexity of teachers' knowledge.
5. Critically engage with various approaches to pedagogy (incl. the NSW Quality Teaching framework).
This course introduces students to:
1. Academic culture and literacy.
2. Education as a field of study.
3. The historical, philosophic, and psychological discourses and disciplines that underlie and inform western education.
4. The social, cultural, and political contexts of contemporary education.
5. Teaching as a profession.
6. Contemporary approaches to pedagogy (incl. the NSW Quality Teaching framework).
EDUC1005, EDUC1006 and EDST1010
Completion of EDUC1005, EDUC1006 or EDST1010 will be deemed to be equivalents.
Modes of Delivery
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
Lecture: for 13 hour(s) per Term for Full Term