Special Education Internship
|Course code EDST4060||Units 20||Level 4000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
Requires the student to undertake 50 days of school based experience in two different special education settings. Interns will be expected to demonstrate quality teaching and an ability to reflect on practice. The Intern will be responsible for up to half the colleague teacher's teaching load. In addition Interns will be expected to interact within the school and its community.
This course has a compulsory 50-day placement.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004|
|Objectives||Upon the completion of this course, students should be able to demonstrate:|
1. a detailed understanding of the role of the special education teacher as a professional;
2. ability to analyse community, school and class contexts and identify the need for planning;
3. ability to plan, implement, manage, assess and evaluate teaching and learning in both short and long term in multiple contexts within the environment of the school;
4. ability to communicate effectively with students, colleague teacher, school staff and community members;
5. detailed understanding of teachers' work in school systems;
6. knowledge and understanding of professional teaching standards, portfolios and supporting documentation; and
7. ability to critically reflect on their own practice.
|Content||The course requires 50 days of school-based experience in two different special education settings. Students are expected to demonstrate competency in: general professional attributes, content studies; teaching and learning - planning, implementation, and management; assessment and evaluation; literacy and communication; and working in schools, systems and communities.|
|Assumed Knowledge||EDST3060: Professional Experience 3: Inclusive Settings.|
In addition, students undertaking the Internship must have successfully completed 270 units of Bachelor of Teaching/relevant discipline degree.
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 12 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|