Secondary Teaching Method 2
|Course code EDST3300||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
Extends students' knowledge and skills in their first teaching subject. It focuses on developing students'knowledge and skills in advanced strategies appropriate for junior and senior secondary classrooms in the first teaching subject. It examines all NSW secondary syllabuses in the first teaching subject in order to develop students' skills in planning and implementing teaching programs developed from syllabus outcomes and content.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004|
|Objectives||1) Deep knowledge of the structure and content of relevant junior syllabus documents in the first teaching subject|
2)General knowledge of the Stage 6 syllabuses and support documents
3) Knowledge of relevant curriculum and support documents in the junior school in English.
3) Ability to plan teaching programs based on relevant syllabus and support documents.
4) Knowledge of appropriate advanced teaching and learning strategies for the first teaching subject.
5) Initial understanding of assessment approaches and tools appropriate to the first teaching subject.
6) Understanding of reflective practice and a capacity to critique the socio-historical construction of English curriculum in NSW.
|Content||* Key issues informing syllabus development;|
* Structure and content of relevant secondary syllabuses;
* Skills to plan and implement teaching/learning units based on syllabuses;
* Assessment of student achievement;
* Reflective practice, including evaluation of units of work.
|Assumed Knowledge||Discipline Major 2000 level|
Issues in Adolescent Development
Foundations for Teaching
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Field Study|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term