Music Making for the Primary School
|Course code EDST2070||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Education|
Music Making for the Primary School explores the creation of meaningful music learning experiences for the Primary School classroom This course aims at providing students with the skills to organise and implement music programs suited to the Primary School context, with an emphasis on instrumental. ensembles. Tuned and untuned percussion technique and pedagogy, simple keyboard accompaniments, recorder techniques, elementary music reading skills, selection and adaptation of appropriate repertoire and some conducting skills will be the focus of the course. No prior music training is required for this subject.
Not available in 2014
|Objectives||Course objectives: |
1. To develop a basic understanding and practical working knowledge of music processes in the Primary School context.
2. To develop an awareness of concepts and skills involved in Music.
3. To develop the ability to read and write simple rhythmic and melodic notation.
4. To recognise the nature and purpose of a variety of instruments.
5. To play simple melodies, chordal accompaniments and rhythm patterns.
6. To create simple arrangements for instruments suitable for the Primary School.
|Content||The course will cover the following areas:|
" Musical concepts and skills
" Basic rhythms and rhythm notation
" Basic chord structures and relationships in music
" Simple melodies and melody notation
" How to stay in time and in tune
" Use of untuned and tuned percussion, keyboards and recorders
" Working with instrumental ensembles
" Music as accompaniment/music as performance
" Basic musicianship
" Writing simple arrangements for ensembles
" Suitable repertoire and resources for the Primary School
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|