Social and Environmental Studies Curriculum
Not available in 2012
Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Introduces students to the social and environmental studies curriculum area and contemporary practices in inquiry-based learning are explored. The significance of a syllabus with embedded values will be explored. The concept of inquiry-based learning will be developed, with some brief historical background. The implications for teaching and learning of a values-based area are introduced. Students will reflect critically upon contemporary issues in social and environmental studies, including the new National Curriculum initiatives, particularly in history K-10. They will investigate their own values and beliefs and examine appropriate contemporary practices for programming, implementation, assessment and evaluation in social and environmental studies.
By the completion of this course successful students will be familiar with:
1. the historical/political setting of social and environmental studies;
2. the scope of the content area in social and environmental studies;
3. and use teaching and learning approaches appropriate to an inquiry process;
4. contemporary issues associated with the values and perspectives base of this area; including the new National Curriculum initiatives, particularly in History K-10;
5. be able to explain the links between values development and knowledge and skills acquisition in social and environmental studies and other learning areas;
6. critically analyse attitudes and practices in contemporary documentation.
* The political, historical and educational context for the teaching of social and environmental studies including discipline bases, values, skills, perspectives and assessment and evaluation.
* Programming and planning considerations.
* Relationship between social and environmental studies and other learning areas.
* Contemporary issues and strategies appropriate for teaching the NSW Human Society and its Environment K-6 syllabus.
* Approaches to critiquing resources for social and environmental studies learning.
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term