The Digital Economy
Information Technology is changing business fundamentally. This course overviews the nature of these changes in four distinct, but integrated parts.
1. Development of IT solutions during the 20th century.
2. Contemporary ICT applications and practices.
3. Future opportunities and implications relating to ICT.
4. ICT Infrastructure and governance in the contemporary organisation
- Semester 1 - 2015
- Trimester 2 - 2015 (Singapore)
1. Understand the fundamental ICT technologies in use today, and be aware of likely ICT developments in the immediate future.
2. Have an appreciation of the nature and extent of the use of ICT within business today.
3. Appreciate the importance of integrating planning and management of ICT into mainstream business management.
4. Develop pro-active approaches to the introduction of innovative ICT applications.
- Technology: Hardware & software, telecommunications & networking (contemporary and future).
- The strategic place of ICT in the modern economy/organization.
- The use of ICT within present and emerging business models.
- Electronic Trading Cycles.
- Contemporary ICT Issues, e.g. Distributed computing, the “cloud”, social networking, supply chain re-engineering.
- Managing the ICT function within the organization.
- Privacy, security, ethical and social impact of ICT initiatives
Written Assignment: Reflective journal
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Study - Presentation
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term