Supply Chain Decision Support
The course examines the increasingly important and rapidly expanding fields of supply chain management and logistics. This course will introduce mathematical models used in supply chain design and management. In particular, linear programming-based models, which are widely used in business planning, will be explored, including models for production planning, inventory management, and warehouse/distribution centre location. Spreadsheets and other standard business tools for answering linear programming-based supply chain questions will be studied. The student will gather and integrate information, and build models using IT tools that enable decision making in supply chains. Further, students will study supply chain management software as they are used for associated business processes. Students will also participate in tutorials promoting group discussions and communication-building exercises.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Impart analytical and problem solving skills necessary to develop solutions for a variety of supply chain management and design problems and develop an understanding for use of information technology in supply chain optimization.
2. Develop an understanding of the complexity of inter-organisation and intra-organisation coordination in supply chains.
3. Gain an understanding of what information should be exchanged in a supply chain and how it should be used to benefit the entire supply chain.
4. Develop an understanding of the decision support systems and IT systems used in managing supply chains.
Topics will be selected from:
- Introduction to Linear Programming in supply chains
- Modelling and solving Linear Programs with standard computer business tools
- Introduction to Integer Linear Programming in supply chains
- Modelling and solving Integer Linear Programs with standard computer business tools
- Supply Chains and the role of IT
- Communication and role-play in supply chains
- Information Extraction, Systems Integration and Analysis in Supply Chains
- IT and Decision Support Systems used in Supply Chains.
INFT1001 EBUS2000 INFO1010
Written Assignment: Weekly Tasks -Decision Making, IT, Bus. Processes & Supply Chain Case Studies, Written, Presentation
Written Assignment: Assignment 2 ¿ Case Study in Decision Support
Written Assignment: Assignment 3 ¿ Weekly Tasks (Supply Chain Models and Solution Methods)
Formal Examination: Final examination