Design Research Planning
|Course code DESN4210||Units 10||Level 4000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
The course will provide students with support to undertake research in visual communication design theory and practice. Students will be guided in the development of a written research proposal and project plan based on discipline specific methodologies and relevant literature. Students will be guided by their supervisor as to the nature of their project, which could be a combination of theoretical, creative or practical elements, and may incorporate work integrated learning. Students will demonstrate their understanding of design research through a seminar presentation of a developed research project plan suitable for further development in Design Honours I.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||On completion of this course, students will be able to:|
1. Recognize the role of research-based scholarship within the discipline of visual communication design.
2. Display an awareness of contemporary issues specific to visual communication design research.
3. Demonstrate decision-making and problem-solving in the context of the discipline.
4. Display a depth of creative and analytical skills that will contribute to the development of a comprehensive research project plan commensurate with study at an honours level.
5. Demonstrate project and time management skills.
|Content||Topics may include:|
1. The application of visual communication design research methodologies to a theoretical or creative project.
2. Theories of professional practice.
3. Literature review processes.
4. Defining research questions.
5. Analytical and critical review of visual and written material.
6. Visual and oral presentation skills.
7. HREC ethics applications as appropriate.
|Assumed Knowledge||Appropriate undergraduate degree at Credit level or above.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Individual Supervision: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for DESN4210|