Natural History Major Project 2
|Course code DESN3550||Units 20||Level 3000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
Provides direction, supervision and consultation in the production of a body of original art work for application to the field of Natural History Illustration. Building on the knowledge and skills acquired in DESN3520 - Major Project 1 a thorough understanding of fieldwork and integrated studio practice will be demonstrated through lectures, interactive dialogue, seminars and participation in field excursions. This artwork contributes to the formation of a professional portfolio suitable for publication and exhibition at the completion of the program. A research folio containing reference material, experimental techniques, visual developments, and specimens and fields recordings supports this.
Not available in 2015
|Objectives||Students successfully completing this course will:|
1. Achieve a body of art work suitable for a professional portfolio in Natural History Illustration.
2. Develop and execute a self selected research project suitable for a professional port folio and/ or ongoing study at higher degree level.
3. Articulate written and verbal communication skills necessary for the Natural History Illustrator.
4. Examine the role and function of the Natural History Illustrator in society.
5. Consolidate participation and collaboration with discipline-related industry and community organizations.
|Content||This course will result in a substantial body of original work and will include some or all of the following:|
Folio and exhibition preparation and presentation.
Guest lectures and seminars.
Consultation with discipline related industry and community organizations.
Consideration of the principles of studio and laboratory based issues of health and safety.
Appreciation of the role of the Natural History Illustrator in society.
The integration of studio and field work practice into a major project.
Application of studio processes and final artwork to publication standard.
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Field Study|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Studio: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self Directed Learning: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term