Natural History Illust Dissertation
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
Equips students with the knowledge and skills to develop and present a substantial written dissertation on a topic selected from Natural History theoretical, studio and /or field studies. This course also provides an understanding of professional presentation and communication techniques through the development of an illustrated seminar.
Emphasis will be on acquiring the necessary research methodologies and their application to the profession through lectures, student projects, interactive discussion, historical contexts, and peer review.
|Objectives||This course will:
1. Enable the student to define an area of research and apply it to an area of professional practice.
2. Provide a venue for critical dialogue on a range of issues relevant to the study of Natural History Illustration.
3. Develop skills in the articulation and presentation of an area of significant independent research.
4. Encourage professional excellence in work processes and presentation.
5. Develop critical appraisal of contemporary illustration issues in individual work and the work of others.
|Content||Topics based on developing and defining an area of research with an informed and professional attitude to the production and presentation of the dissertation.
Topics include some or all of the following:
Visual and verbal presentation skills.
Historical contexts of Natural History Illustration.
Essay and report writing.
Links between Natural History Illustration and other art forms.
Photographic applications to Natural History Illustration.
Critical appraisal and analysis, peer review.
Copyright and intellectual property issues for the contemporary Illustrator.
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self Directed Learning: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for DESN3540|